A Big "THANK YOU" to Shawn & Kevin!

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

TJ

A Big "THANK YOU" to Shawn & Kevin!

Post by TJ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Today's combined KCKA Intermediate Kayaking Workshop and KWA Playboat clinic was a great success. Held at Kansas State University's Natatorium, the two events in two adjacent pool areas allowed workshop members to try out new techniques in one pool area and practice their current skills in another area.

Since 1978, the KCKA Kayak Workshops held at Kansas State University have allowed students and members that have completed Basic or Introductory kayak instruction to continue their work with Instructors on kayak rolls and other techniques during the winter months. Students come from all over the State, enroll online through University For Man, and enjoy the KCKA Workshops.

A Big "THANK YOU" to Shawn & Kevin for driving up and sharing their expertise. Hope to see you again Sunday, Feb. 11th.
TJ Hittle - Instructor
Tim Stoecklein - Co-Instructor
Last edited by TJ on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:32 pm

I don't know about that playboating mumbo-jumbo......I some how managed to wind of up a swolen ankle out of that deal, trying to throw Kevin's boat around in a thrashing manner :? Don't ask me how since I rarely get swelling even with a "rolled" ankle................I believe the curse of Shawn and Kevin continue to take their toll on my body :D

Thanks for coming over guys, and thanks to Kevin for letting me thrash about in his boat.

Eric&Janica

Thanks

Post by Eric&Janica » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks Guys for coming down. You kicked my butt. I am sore, in places I didn't know I could be sore. It was great to get all the instruction.(Its an awfull lot to take in). You guys are very patient and good at pointing out the small details of each move. Once again Thank You. See ya the 11th.
Eric :D
Eric & Janica

TJ

Post by TJ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Yah, Jim Weaver was rubbing his shoulder and talking about how it might not move very well for a while too. I imagine he'll be nursing a bottle of Vitamin I until the next session. At the same time, I know he can't wait until the Feb 11th session.
C'ya then,
TJ

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Like they say, "No Pain No Gain" right?
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Eric&Janica

No pain no gain

Post by Eric&Janica » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm not complaining , more just laughing at myself. You are absolutly right.....No pain No gain. See ya feb.11th.
Eric & Janica

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:14 pm

Yeah. don't feel bad. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and my abs are still sore as well as my legs where I come into contact with my thigh braces.

Your shoulders however should not be sore if you are correctly keeping your arms down (elbow always below the shoulder) and locking them into your abs thus forcing your abs to do the work. When paddling and especially in play boating you almost never want to use fully extended arms (straight). Your arms should always be close to a 90 bend where the forearm perpendicular to the upper arm. This causes your core muscles in the torso to do the work of pushing or pulling your kayaking though the water. Using straight arms means that your arms are doing most of the work and it also means putting more stress on your shoulders.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

KUKayaker

Post by KUKayaker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm was glad to see we were able to peak some people's interest in playboating as well as give out some pointers. I think everyone came out with a bit of soreness, myself included.
kukayaker = Kevin