Water in the Ozarks

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

sddeyoe

Water in the Ozarks

Post by sddeyoe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:35 pm

If the water is still up this weekend, does anyone want to make a quick trip to the Mulberry or other ozark spot? It may not be an issue if the water goes down as fast as it has risen, but if possible I would like to head out from Wichita on Friday afternoon and return on Sunday afternoon if the water exists. Steve

Eric&Janica

ozarks

Post by Eric&Janica » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 am

Steve,
I'll go... If there is water.... Janica has to work. Do you want to car pool and split gas?
Eric
Eric & Janica

sddeyoe

Post by sddeyoe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:54 pm

Carpooling would be good for me. Water is dropping pretty fast..this attempt may be in vain. Why couldn't the rain have happened last week when I was on vacation?

Eric&Janica

Mulberry

Post by Eric&Janica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am

there is rain forcast for this afternoon and evening down by the mulberry.
We might actually... just maybe....if we're lucky...We'll just have to check the gauge in the morning and see whats happened. cross your fingers.
Eric
Eric & Janica

TJ

Post by TJ » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:23 pm

Steve & Eric,

It is starting to look like the Saint Francis (Fredericktown, MO) will be running this weekend. It was already up yesterday but dropped a bit. However, it has a 70% chance of rain tomorrow. That would take it back up for most of the weekend.

Here is the forecast:
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USMO0321_f.html

My personal opinion is that the Saint would be the best choice for the weekend at this point.

I have an early Friday afternoon meeting in Manhattan, but would be able to leave mid-afternoon. I could meet you guys in Topeka Friday afternoon around 4:00PM if you wanted to paddle the Saint.
TJ

jimmy j

Post by jimmy j » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:38 am

T.J. what is the minimun on the roselle gage?
jim

TJ

Post by TJ » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 am

Most commonly, they use 3.0'. That gives you 0" at the low water bridge, which is low but quite doable. Today's rain should boot it up if the forecast is correct.
TJ

sddeyoe

Post by sddeyoe » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:42 pm

This sounds good to me. I haven't been to the St. Francis before so I will have to trust you TJ. My fallback is the North Fork of the White River that has ample water and is springfed so is a "sure thing" as far as I know. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mo/nwis/uv?07057500 I would prefer the saint if there is enough water. I will able to leave Wichita early afternoon on Friday and need to be back Sunday night for work Monday am.