Rocky Ford is running this weekend. October 6-8

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

TJ

Rocky Ford is running this weekend. October 6-8

Post by TJ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Good news!! After a long series of communications with the USA Corps of Engineers, we are going to get a 1,000 cfs water release from Tuttle Creek Lake this Friday-Sunday at Rocky Ford KDWP area, below Tuttle Creek Lake.

If you have never been to Rocky Ford, I think you would enjoy the flexiblity of the rocks, rapids, and moves.

The bad news is that the Corps had also turned down our water release request because of low lake levels at Tuttle Creek Lake. But completely due to "pure luck", as the Tuttle Asst. Lake Manager told me today, they will begin ramping down from today's 2,800 cfs and by this Tuesday, will be down to 200 cfs at Tuttle Creek Lake. It is a long story, but you can either thank or curse the need for barge traffic on the Missouri River. I guess it pays to be lucky. I'll see you at the KCKA Rendezvous.

Another bit of good news is that the Corps will be ramping up Milford Reservoir on Friday and the Republican River section from Milford-Junction will be floatable. As will the Kansas River from Junction City on downward. So there are innumerable river sections on the Kansas River and the Big Blue River below Tuttle Creek Lake that will also be floatable. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at tjhittle@yahoo.com or via private mail- TJH