Rescue PFD

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

sddeyoe

Rescue PFD

Post by sddeyoe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 am

Wanting to see if anyone could give an opinion which rescue PFD is the best and why. I am looking at them and have no experience with them other than in a rescue class I went through this summer. The brands I am looking at are Astral and Stohlquist. I believe the Astral is Coast Guard Approved with the small "+" on the front but am not sure about the Stohlquist. Thanks for any help. Steve

Eric&Janica

rescue vest

Post by Eric&Janica » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 am

Steve,
I think the astal vest is the best. ( Only because I own one :roll: ).
No the astal has a zippered pocket to keep your leash from dangling (very dangerous to have anything dangling :evil: ). You can put a hydration bladder in the back 1.8 liters
They have a 50 ft throw rope for the front pocket. Most importantly they come in red. :lol: Mine is very comfortabe and I have been extremly happy w/ it. hope this helps any. Mine is the smaller of the two sizes, you are more than welcome to try it if it will fit. I,ll have it w/ me at the rendevous.
Eric
Eric & Janica

sddeyoe

Post by sddeyoe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks for the info..I am leaning towards the Astral anyway but this helps. Steve

TJ

Post by TJ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi Steve,

I've also been using an Astral Rescue PFD for about three years now and it is holding up well. You probably know how much I paddle and the Astral PFD rocks. I have a water bladder for it too and it really comes in handy.

They tend to be a little undersized, so get a larger than you might need size.
TJ