Potential New Paddler

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

eafishel

Potential New Paddler

Post by eafishel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:47 pm

Hello! I posted earlier on the Whitewater "New Boater Board" about thinking about buying a kayak and was told I might fit in better here. I'll be a KU senior next year and am thinking about buying Impex's Mystic (a small touring kayak built for the smaller paddler). I'm interested in finding some relatively calm places to paddle that are within driving distance. Basically a place where I can just enjoy being outside and on the water. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Erica

bwbwetarnp&co

You are in the right place

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:17 pm

As for calm most of the lakes are good during monday through thursday if you are into that kind of deal. As a flat water paddler myself I have to say that the Kansas river is kind of calm an most of the other creeks are almost not flowing. What kind of water are you talking about and within what area?

eafishel

Post by eafishel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:51 am

Right now I am in upstate NY for an internship but when I return to school (end of August) I will have to stick around the Lawrence because of classes Monday - Friday. However, I do have a good chunk of time on Thursdays... Weekends are also a definite possibility and driving is no challenge for me (I drove from Kansas up here). As for water conditions, a mild wave now and again doesn't frighten me; what does frighten me is big boats going along at a good clip.

~Erica

wakarusan

Post by wakarusan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm

Welcome Erica :)

i actually just got into kayaking about 2 months ago, so am familiar with your situation. For places to go, you could try the following:

1. Lone Star Lake: small lake, 5 miles in circumference, a great place for your first outing or just to get an hour and a half worth of kayaking exercise.

2. Clinton lake: a great place to paddle, but the lake is big, and with wind, you can get some waves as big as 2 or 3 feet. i frequently use the coon creek boat ramp off of 1600rd (i think)

3. wakarusa river upstream from clinton: the wakarusa is wide, scenic and nice to paddle for about 15 miles upstream from clinton towards topeka. there are several access points, the one i use is at the end of 1150 nth road.

4. either river front park boat ramp on the kansas river, if you pick the upstream ramp, stay well away from the open face dam under the bridge.

5. douglas county lake: down by baldwin city, however it was recently drained, not sure if it's filled yet (kindof doubt it)

6. osage county lake: south of topeka 20 miles or so. small lake, similar to lonestar but less scenic, imho.

good luck and have fun! i graduated from an old town otter to a 12.8 dagger catalyst quickly, so i'd recommend going with a longer boat from the beginning. you may also want to check ebay for boats. i got mine from a seller named ddoutfitter for about 300$ off (a 2005 model)

eafishel

Post by eafishel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:56 am

In addition to places to paddle I'm also looking for people to paddle with on occasion...

~Erica

bwbwetarnp&co

Don't fret

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:10 pm

My experience are the bigger they are that their bark is often worse than their bite when it comes to wake. I love the bigger boats because a lot of time their rolling wave is a lot easier to handle than the splashy small show off on the jet ski. However either one are nothing to fear. In fact one of the largest boats on Perry shadowed us into the marina on day when the wind and waves were big and I appreciated it greatly. I have not found anything yet as boat or moderate weather that can swamp me. Again, the trick is to relax and ride the wave as it takes you. Now as for any boat, it is only as good as its pilot. I am always ready with a loud horn and prepared to bail out if they are not paying attention to where they are going. It has not been that long ago that we at Perry remember a speed boat launching itself into the side of a house boat. The memory is still vivid. But remember every time you are out on the road there is a chance that the next oncoming car will cross over to your lane. Remember that life will get you unless you expect it to and have a plan. Hang in there!!! We will be there for you.

wakarusan

Post by wakarusan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:01 pm

my wife would probably love to kayak sometime with a non-male :) if you want i can put u in contact.

wakarusan

Post by wakarusan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:10 pm

with respect to big boats, a boat's wake won't be as bad as what wind can produce as far as waves. one good way to have them notice you is to keep your paddle in motion... and try to make some semblance of eye contact. to deal with waves, hit them head on, and wear a life jacket. ideally you'd hang out a bit with the whitewater crew to learn a roll, but to do so you'd need a sprayskirt and practice. noseplugs are also very handy if you think you have a good chance of having to roll (big, big waves)... water exits and re-entries are also a good thing to practice if you want to do more than moderately choppy water.

eafishel

Post by eafishel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:07 pm

I was actually planning on taking the "wet exit" course that the shop up here offers. I brought my wet suit with me so I figured why not. I might go into KC for some of the lessons that the whitewater class offers just to work on my roll as a way to cool off and also just in case.

I'm not too afraid of boats as my mom and I went kayaking on the Missouri River just outside of St. Louis which wasn't too bad wake-wise. It wasn't a very good paddle though with nothing really scenic to look at and just tons of wave runners and people with big boats.

As for paddling with another female, I'm game.

~Erica

bwbwetarnp&co

See you are doing good

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:40 pm

Just keep going with your spirit and your experience. Know that there will most likely always be people better but always know you are the best you can be at any given time and getting better. Hang in there.
Best wishes
Brian

wakarusan

Post by wakarusan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 pm

Erica, if you haven't already, check your private message folder.

jason