"Can we talk"

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

bwbwetarnp&co

"Can we talk"

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:30 pm

At least on the surface there are fewer people who do Canoe or flat water float that chat on line. Is it that these people do not go on line? I don't believe this to be true. It seems like everybody and their dog is on line and I think computer geekism should not be just for the white water dudes and ladies. The difference is response. It seems that white water people are more willing to engage the unknown response. I of coarse am not worried about the unknown response as a flat water person. Does that make me a more dynamic flat water person, or a white water person who does not yet know who he should be? We maybe should let the latter go for a later date. I do want to bring the KCKA to the computer age as far as dialogue. Lets chat....

KUKayaker

Post by KUKayaker » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am

You might just want to arrange an informal float and see what kind of response you get.
kukayaker = Kevin

bwbwetarnp&co

Excellent Suggestion

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:22 am

In fact I just received a PM from Don regarding just this kind of float. He is going to place it in the news letter or on line. Stay tuned to this station for further information.

TJ

Post by TJ » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:41 am

Dear ????????????

A Board Moderator since inception, my impression of our KCKA paddling group is that they have never thought too much of message boards. There are only a very few that post.

I rarely see the canoe and touring kayak group post at all. Its a shame and I think folks are missing out on a great to communicate, but I do not think that you can't beat club members with a bat to get them to post.

KCKA typically uses an email reminder sent out weekly, called the:
KCKA Events Reminder.

I'd try listing a fun flatwater trip though that means with our Marketing Chr, Chris Collins. I'm sure it would be fun anyway. I'll be back out in CO paddling over the August 1-6 time period, so I'll miss out.

Are you a KCKA member? I'd also try using a first name if you really want to get some responses.
Paddldingly yours,
TJ Hittle

bwbwetarnp&co

Member yes

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Brian is the name. As for using a bat that may or may not work, but I was planning on using my head since I have been banging it on walls for many years. By the way I have read about some of your exploits in Colorado and I say your some awesome dude. Can't even begin to dream of what you do, you're obviously fearless...

TJ

Post by TJ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Brian,

You certainly have a good attitude & I'm sure that this group will benefit long term from your trips and posts.

As for me, this year will see my 9,800th river mile in seven countries. Next year, I will go over the 10,000 river mile mark, which should be a new Kansas paddling record. But truthfully, I've pulled back from Class IV-V trips over last couple years to mostly Class III-IV, with an effort to go back and help bring interested Class II paddlers up to Class III-IV skill levels. Adding that to my regular flatwater touring kayak and kevlar canoe cruiser regimen, I like to stay diversified.

Could I talk you into writing a short article for the Kansas Paddle Newsletter about the KCKA Message Board and its many advantages? I'll bet we could generate a few more posts with a few articles that are well timed.

Why don't you contact Steve Deyoe, newsletter editor for KCKA, and send something to him for the newsletter. Add that to a few trips to get your name known and I think that we could eventually turn this lack of message board support around.
TJ

bwbwetarnp&co

Consider it done

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:37 pm

I would be glad to get this word out. I will be contacting Steve and thank you for the support.

wakarusan

Post by wakarusan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 pm

presuming by 'flatwater' you mean touring kayaking... i'd be happy to meet up with anyone around lawrence to go padding out at clinton, lonestar, or along the banks of the kaw. I've got a 12.8 dagger catalyst that can go at a decent clip if necessary.

the whitewater folks are great, and have been very receptive to flatwater newbies, but i still enjoy my catalyst.

btw, I've heard reports of mountain lions at both woodridge park (clinton) and the riverfront park. kayaking ought to be a safe way to go mountain lion watching :)

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:01 am

wakarusan wrote:
btw, I've heard reports of mountain lions at both woodridge park (clinton) and the riverfront park. kayaking ought to be a safe way to go mountain lion watching :)
Nah, you just look like a big play toy to them :P Enjoy the water!!

bwbwetarnp&co

Call me a skeptic

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:32 pm

I know that the local Bobcats can get quite large. If you get close enough to get a picture of so called mountain lion, I would certainly be glad to look it over. I must really be from the show me state.

Openboater

On the subject

Post by Openboater » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:55 am

I've weighed in on this before and agree with T.J. to a point about the reluctance of mild water paddlers to post. I do think there is another issue involved here.

I'm really tired of KCKA members submitting articles about their unannounced trips in the newsletter after the fact. This has gone on for years and while it's understandable that many trip organizers are only comfortable with a certain group or the skill level required limits participation to experienced paddlers; for the rest of us it's, "we weren't invited." To be fair, T.J. has done a great job over the years of announcing many trips.

As easy as it is for experienced paddlers to stay with the familiar, this doesn't seem to be a problem for KWA or the Arkansas Canoe Club. They have very active boards and I manage to paddle on pick-up trips with the ACC just about any time I want to go. This almost never happens with KCKA (Chris, thanks for the invite last June but I needed a little more notice).

The idea of sending an article to Steve for the newsletter is a good one. I have been intending to do this and just need to get it done (using all the "nice" keys).

Congratulations to Don Varnau and bwbxxxxxx... for letting people know when they are going out paddling. (Sorry I can't make 9/2 on the Kaw) I'll continue to post any of my trips here and try to catch some others. (when we get some water - looking good today).

Marty

bwbwetarnp&co

Thank You for weighing in on this topic

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:16 am

Thank You Marty for the input. I have sent an article to Steve. I promise this article has nothing to do with an outdated trip. I do believe that the newsletter is a vital part of this and other organizations, but it should only be one a part of the information system. A tool in addition to many other tools that help keep a group connected. Again, your comments and ideas are appreciated as they are shared by others I'm sure.

TJ

Post by TJ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm really glad that the subject of "Trip Leading" came up. Of course, the simple answer to this is to go the mirror and ask "How many trips have I led this year?" If the answer is one or NONE, then we can quickly figure out what the problem is and the problem is in the mirror.

Personally, I try to offer a blend. Some trips are open to club members and some are not for a great many reasons. I think most "experienced" paddlers understand that. We all need to work to expand the KCKA trip schedule.

Having been on several ACC and KWA trips and my many other club membership trips, I know that this works for them too. Most of their trips are actually private but there are enough that are offered to ALL that there is the appearance of enough trips for each respective club.

I'd really like to see more names on KCKA Trip Schedule this next year, besides the usual group of me, Chris Collins, Don Varnau, Jim Johnson, and a handfull of others. If everyone did their part, there would be a ton of trips out there and few would feel left out.

See you on a river in 2007,
TJ

bwbwetarnp&co

Great post TJ

Post by bwbwetarnp&co » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:04 pm

This is a very good post. I wonder if it would even be worth putting in the news letter. I have one of my own going in the next. I think this one would also be there. As for leading, I have done my share in other organizations unrelated. However, starting out I would rather be the number two person for obvious reasons. I am never opposed to considering a helping hand.

Eric&Janica

trips

Post by Eric&Janica » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 pm

This conversation is getting really old! I myself just had an"unannounced " trip report in the latest news letter. Everyone I have spoke to really enjoyed reading it. I have seen lots of trips go on w/out announcments being made. People have the right to take personal/private trips. Also there is the safety factor. I just finished an SWR (swift water rescue course)
put on by the ACC/ACA. One of the fist things they stressed was to know your group, their paddling abilities, paddling experiance, etc. Groups seem to form of paddlers who paddle together regularly, and get to know each others strengths and weaknesses. This is a very important part of our sport as we rely on each other, sometimes to save our lives. There is also the issue of insurance that has been pushed in the KCKA. This also has effected our group trips(posted trips). I know of several people who will not lead a trip because of the "Liability issue". We as paddlers know the risks and accpet them. All of this insurance and waver BS has done alot of damage and scared away some from leading trips. It is a shame.
I think the Idea of an artical to the news letter is a bad Idea. It will only cause tention with-in the group. I think planning a trip, posting it, and leading it would do more good than complaining about unposted trips in the news letter. Please we are all adults here, not once have I ever heard "dont invite so and so." If a trip was not annouced there was probley a good reason. There is no reason to feel left out. If you are looking for someone to paddle with on a certian day.....just ask around. I have never had a problem finding someone who is willing to go paddle. I think the expirianced paddlers in our group do a great job of giving oppertunies to new paddlers. Sometimes spur of the moment/sometimes planned and posted. Thank you all (trip leaders/instructers/experianced paddlers) for what you do for all of us novice paddlers.
Eric :D
Eric & Janica