Gates of Ladore trip

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

Eric&Janica

Gates of Ladore trip

Post by Eric&Janica » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi everyone.
Janica and I just got back from our first western river.(the Green). We went w/ Pat, Bo, Neil, Cullin, Nancy Seaman, Jim Jonson, Roger Norton, Scott Duffins, Doug and kathy Sells. I think thats everyones names. We spent 4 wonderful days on the river. The green was at about 3000 cfs above the confluance of the yampa & 7000 below. It was almost shoking how powerful that much water is. The weather was perfect.
The first day we went as far as winnies rock. pretty uneventful. The second day we went through most of the major rapids. I flipped 3 times that morning. I Made my first two combat rolls, then swam after hitting my head in lower desaster. Im fine just a scratch on my helmet. After that I was pretty spent. I walked triplet, and caught a ride on Pats raft through Hells half mile.
After a good nights sleep I got my nerve back and kayaked the next two days W/ no problems. The last day the water was huge. five foot waves coming from every directoin. It was in this stuff that i got my first combat brace. I really learned alot on this trip. I also gained alot of respect for the power of rivers.
After leaving dinasour we headed to Salida for the weekend. We stayed with a freind of Rogers who owns a raft company. ( Rock & Row). Janica and I took a raft trip from Texas creek to Pinical Rock. Roger and Jim followed in Kayaks. I also picked up a Jackson Allstar in Salida. Cant wait to get it out on some waves. All in All we had a great time, learned alot, and saw a whole bunch of awsome country.
Eric :D
Eric & Janica

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:06 am

That sounds awesome Eric!!! Sounds to me like you're an addict for life now :D Thanks for the report, sounds like you guys had a great time!

Hope to paddle with you guys sometime soon! TJ just sent out an e-mail about a novice trip the firt part of August, maybe you can get out to CO again.

TJ

Post by TJ » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi E & J,

Thanks for the write up. Sounded like an awesome trip. I have lots of great memories from many past Lodore & Yampa trips. What a great canyon run.

You should write an article for the KCKA Newsletter. It is always refreshing to hear about a multi-day trip from a new paddler.
Take care,
TJ