Cossotot Maiden

General Discussion for the Kansas Canoe and Kayak Association

Moderators: KUKayaker, TJ

gfeist

Cossotot Maiden

Post by gfeist » Fri May 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Will be heading to Cossotot either tonight or early mourning. If want a ride can meet my house Wakita,or Blackwell on I-35, or Tulsa area. Will come home Sat. night for Mothers Day. cell 620-842-3129 hm 580-594-2557 wrk 620-842-3129 Gary

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Fri May 12, 2006 12:52 pm

wish I could make it, tell us all about the trip when you get back
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

gfeist

Post by gfeist » Sun May 14, 2006 9:20 pm

Walter Felton led 18 of us making our maiden run on Cossotot from Ed Bank to 278, level 3.0 ,we started with 13 support boaters then Copper and 2 of his buddies caught us after 1st rapid. All of us first timers were pretty nervous but after a few rapids we gained a lot of confidence that when we did get in a bind, the safety they had set up was outstanding. By time we reached the Falls ,Walter promised we could stop at bottom for lunch so that gave us two reasons to run the Falls 1.To say we had. 2. We were hungry and ready for a rest.( the anxiety takes lots energy.) I can say I made it through the Falls,not necessarily ran the Falls. I was one of the first through so I crawled up on rock to the left of Cannonball and was able to see why it is called WASHING MACHINE. This was a well organized trip with safty at top of the list. Now I can not wait to go back with a good group of paddlers and see if I can say I ran the Falls. This is a run that I feel a good group of support boaters is a must. One of our support boaters,that I know is very good made a bad move on one of the top falls and just kept having trouble through the remaining falls and Washing Machine did him no favor. This is a trip I would highly recomend you put on your calander, the first week after Ark Canoe School if there is water. A thanks to Walter and support crew,and fellow first timers.
Gary Feist

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Mon May 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Gary, Did you run the inflatable down the river or did you boat something else?

The Tot is quite the beautiful river with its aqua-green water and rugged mountains. Man i love that river.

Glad you were able to catch this little gem.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH